- 500 mL H20
- dash of garlic powder, black pepper and white pepper
- 2-4 standard-sized carrots
- 1 onion
- 2 bowls/servings cooked white rice (amount as desired, this is just what I used)
1. Combine the soup, water and seasonings in a pot over high heat and bring to a boil
2. Add the vegetables and lower the heat. Let simmer until the carrots are tender and the onions turn clear (about 20-30 min)
3. Add the rice and stir for about a minute. If the rice is cold, let it heat up in the stew for about 5 minutes.
4. Ready to eat!
o This is intended to be a rice dish rather than a soup, so the final ratio of liquid to rice should be favoring the rice. If not, you can always add more rice.
o This is also intended to be a side dish (carb + veg). I originally made it to go with some leftover meat.
o If you’re in a hurry, this is a good recipe for using leftover rice. To save time during the week, I usually cook twice as much rice as needed for a meal and put half in the fridge for use later on in the week :)
o Corn, celery, tomatoes, potatoes
o Substitute about 200mL milk for water (might make it more creamy)
o For a more “professional” dish, substitute tomato paste, two tomatoes (cut into wedges) and seasonings like oregano & basil or an Italian mix for the instant soup.
o How to make 2 meals in one:
- Brown about 300-400 grams stewing beef or pork chops in a pan. Bring the soup and seasonings to a boil and add the meat. Turn down the heat and simmer for about an hour.
- I found that this left the soup very oily as fat cooked out of the meat. For the sake of being healthy, I served the meat separately on Day1 and put the remaining soup in the refrigerator overnight. This sort of meat goes well with mashed or boiled potatoes.- On Day2, I skimmed the separated fat/oil off the top of the soup and reheated it on the stove, following the recipe above. Thus, main course Day1, side dish Day2 :)